Skip to main content

Media Project Reflection - "Grooming Caddy"







     This media project allowed me to use my creativity to create something that would be meaningful to others.  One of my major takeaways from this assignment was how you can use such simple materials to create a completely unique tool that could be helpful to someone.  When brainstorming, I wasn't sure how I could create something unique out of a laundry detergent container.  However, after thinking through what my client Joe needed, it suddenly came to me that I could use a laundry detergent box to make grooming easier for Joe.  After doubting that I would be able to create something unique, that was my "ah-ha" moment.

     I learned that just because something doesn't exist that you can buy, it doesn't mean that it can't be made.  For me, I was surprised looking at my final product knowing that the main items I used were a laundry detergent box, velcro, and duct tape.  Also, I realized that my finished product can be adapted to meet a client's specific needs.  I chose general items that I believed Joe would use for grooming.  However, the product, which I call the "grooming caddy" could be made to accommodate specific items used by all kinds of clients.  I also believe this could be adapted to help those with multiple diagnoses and those who have specific challenges regarding grooming.  The more I brainstormed while completing this project, the more I realized that the possibilities are endless.  

     I think completing this assignment will be very helpful in other assignments, as well as clinical work.  In the future, I feel that I will be more open to creating things.  I have never been very confident in my creativity, however, I feel now that I will have more confidence in my ability to create new things.  I also feel that I will have a better ability to look at my client's needs and brainstorm things that would be useful in interventions and will make their everyday life easier.

Front
Back 
Side


Side

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Era Presentations

I learned so much new information about the field of occupational therapy through the era presentations today.  There are many events that impacted occupational therapy.  One I found to be very impactful was WWII in the 1940's.  During WWII, there was an increased need for women in the workforce.  Occupational therapy was in high demand as many were surviving the war and returning home with injuries.  Military hospitals had an increased need for occupational therapists.  The field of occupational therapy has continued to change and adapt with the changing time periods.  

Health & Health Promotion

      Health is the complete state of physical, mental, and social well-being.  There are three interventions that can help reduce threats to health.  Primary help prevent disease or injury before it occurs.  This could include a back injury prevention program or immunizations.  Secondary help reduce the impact of a disease or injury that has already occurred.  This might be cancer screening or developmental screening.  Tertiary help limit the impact of an ongoing illness or injury that has lasting effects such as rehab.        Health promotion uses discipline-specific techniques to help people achieve their health-related goals.  Occupational therapy has a role in health promotion by using occupations, adaptations or alteration of context to maximize the pursuit of health.  The quality of life for individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations are maximized.       

OTPF

The Occupational Therapy Practice Framework (OTPF) is a guide used by occupational therapists and others to help describe the components of occupational therapy practice.  The purpose of the OTPF is to give an overview of an occupational therapist's scope of practice.  It helps improve communication between health professionals by establishing a common language.  It can also be used as a guide to evaluation, intervention, and outcomes.  The OTPF defines the goal of occupational therapy as "achieving health, well-being, and participation in life through engagement in occupation."  It also defines the clients of occupational therapy as well as the domains that interact to affect the client's overall wellness.